Dailydave mailing list archives

Re: DefCon CTF

From: Chris Eagle <cseagle () redshift com>
Date: Thu, 14 Aug 2008 16:38:48 -0700

Actually, of the 26 people, only 18 were hands on keyboard types this
year.  Of those we had a a wide range of experience levels from CTF
first timers to CTF old timers.  The team was no larger or smaller than
we have used in the past and lost with.  Perhaps our process is starting
to work a little better.  Frankly we haven't decided what worked and
what didn't just yet, but we like all of the conjecture because we wish
we had thought of some of the ideas being tossed around.  More things to
try next year I guess ;)

Chris

Jared DeMott wrote:
Ya, from what I saw (and from what ChrisEagle said) skewl just brought
out all the horses.  With a 26 man team (to our 8-10) they were
overpoweringly strong, and led by the master CE to bring down the house
RE style.  For the last couple years we've rocked as a balanced team and
mastered things like automation, counter attack, defense,
inline-snorting, and of course DRB with the RE power -- but this year
more than ever break through points (first to RE and exploit a vul) was
key -- score quick, score often.  If the game stays the same, bringing a
small army of reversers is possibly a strong road to success, especially
if you've mastered the personal issues of large teams, and understand
the rest of the game as well.  Skewl rocks, and they deserved to win.
I'm not at all suggesting that numbers was the only reason they won.
Though, I wonder if Kenshoto will try and address the large team
approach?  I'm really not sure much can be done there, so I guess it's
just one strategic approach?  CE trains folks that move on to gov and
industry, so now when he raises a call to arms, he can muster a sizable
team that we might have trouble matching.  Though, I suppose we could
try that approach as well.  I doubt we will though, I think our team has
always felt that sleek and tight was better than big.  Though if you
tighten up big ... perhaps (obviously) you yield greater production?

jrod