Dailydave mailing list archives

Re: The lack of hard questions

From: Trygve Aasheim <trygve () pogostick net>
Date: Tue, 02 Sep 2008 12:13:20 +0200

Why sometimes "Security Experts" and not the vendor should say if it is
a vulnerability or a bug, and if its reliable (read entire timeline):

http://www.coresecurity.com/content/open-bsd-advisorie

The vendor might have other interests, and most major vendors run all
their communication through their marketing department (which usually
ARE full of crap)...and that doesn't help. Even if they're packed with
people who can make "reliable exploits"...

And many times the "Security Team" is overbooked (by the marketing
department to do presentations on seminars or create security whitepaper
strategies)...

Microsoft might be different of course...but maybe not in the future,
since they've now proved that security doesn't really sell:

http://pwnie-awards.org/2008/nominees.html#fail

ergosum wrote:

Charles, no ofense, but the MS Security team has several members who can make
reliable exploits, probably much better than many "security experts". So,
don't take for granted that MS is full of crap because that shows your lack
of knowledge about them.