Dailydave mailing list archives

Re: Sunday sunday sunday!

From: "Steven J. Greenwald" <sjg6 () gate net>
Date: Sun, 01 Feb 2009 17:03:41 -0500

Hello all,

I've never commented on this list before but have enjoyed lurking.

I hate the Superbowl and football by the way. I recall going to a
convenience store once during a Superbowl and expressing my non-interest
and ignorance to the clerk who said, "Aren't you an American?" This
really underscores Mr. Aitel's point.

Regarding the really excellent point of the pair of dice, I recall
(circa 2004) a friend/colleague working on her Ph.D. on IDS and her
adviser (another colleague/friend) showing me a dataset of a real
intrusion at an interesting place that they had sifted, manipulated,
etc. (my feeling on IDS: I pity them, but good luck to them). Right
away, just eyeballing the data I noticed that a PRNG got involved in
terms of timing (my intuition paid off: a linear-congruential algorithm
with a modulus of 2^16 - in fact, D.H. Lehmer's straight out of Knuth!).
Sophisticated in the sense that it took its time (weeks) to run a period
(I admire that), but pathetic in terms of the PRNG itself (an example of
the right mindset at an amateur level I suppose, although my friends
asserted a major government supported it). I thought that interesting,
and they later confirmed its automated nature (and of course, a new,
very easy, way to detect that stuff).

Of course, for true finesse you could go the other way: use an
old-fashioned PRNG (like linear-congruential) and make the other side
underestimate you. :)

--Steve

Dave Aitel wrote:
If we were in Unethical Hacking class today I'd be pointing out that
tomorrow night is a good time to hack, because no "American" would be
hacking during the super bowl, surely!

When you hack, it's always the same way on your end. You've got three
major windows. The top left is your plan of action (aka, a script).
The top right is output. The top middle is input (Get two screens!).
The bottom is network dump (ideally colorized but tcpdump -n will do
in a pinch, no?). But you never hack on a schedule. In this regards a
simple pair of dice can be your most powerful weapon against both
automated and manual correlation and analysis. Going active? Let the
dice pick when, and from which IP's you're attacking from.

Of course, if it happens to be during the Super Bowl, so much the
better. It's called a Discipline for a reason. :>

-dave