Dailydave mailing list archives

Re: A change

From: Nick FitzGerald <nick () virus-l demon co uk>
Date: Wed, 27 Jan 2010 10:53:50 +1300

Ben Nagy wrote:

[snip much good stuff]
So, while I think that 'simpler' is certainly unassailable, I would
need more than a two word assertion to be convinced that it is 'much'
simpler. If you give one team a million dollars and 100 people
selected at random from the top 10% graduating computer science and
you give the other team their pick of any 4 researchers in the world
and 3 imacs, whom does the smart money think will produce more weapons
grade 0day after 6 months?

(No it's not a fair comparison. It's a thought experiment.)

I think that what you missed was that in China it's much less so/not
about scaling with money and more about that, probabilistically, they
have around 20% of the people with the right brain-jitsu talent.

Oh, and _they_ live in a culture that means they are more likely to see
it as their obligation to aide their national interests as directed by
their government, who in turn have fairly well-developed systems for
filtering out those who show all kinds of special talents and nurturing
them to develop those talents to the maximum.

That just may well scale...

Regards,

Nick FitzGerald