Dailydave mailing list archives

Re: ASLR+DEP = no problem. :>

From: Nate Lawson <nate () root org>
Date: Thu, 04 Feb 2010 21:51:39 -0800

Alexander Sotirov wrote:
On Thu, Feb 04, 2010 at 08:06:33PM +0100, Thierry Zoller wrote:
now, after reading the paper let me know if it requires a 'fix' as you
said, or a re-design/engineering and re-implementation of the JIT
itself. ;)
Does not compute either. By "fix" I abviously assumed "redesign/eginner"
the JIT. The point was that ASLR/DEP is not dead because of error in a
JIT.

Are you making the claim that JIT spraying can be stopped by redesigning the
JIT? How exactly would you redesign the JIT to avoid inserting bytes controlled
by the attacker into the generated instruction stream?

This is one reason why I expect the techniques of software protection to
become more widespread in general-purpose systems. Things like
obfuscation, heap randomization, integrity self-checks, linker module
encryption, etc. were once the domain of copy protection systems or the
like.

But if your JIT compiler starts generating randomized, obfuscated native
code with embedded self-checks, now it starts getting harder to use the
output in a predictable way. I see this as a natural extension of the
process that started with ASLR.

--
Nate