Dailydave mailing list archives

Re: Attribution

From: Josh Saxe <joshsaxe () yahoo com>
Date: Wed, 14 Apr 2010 15:47:37 -0700 (PDT)

Hi!

I'm new to this list, I'm a security researcher, but from having read the posts on here for the last couple weeks, my
work is in a bit of a different area - visualization and intrusion detection, as opposed to vulnerability discovery and
exploit development.

Yes, if you can't attribute quickly or at all, you're in trouble.  But, today, in a network 'conflict', all sides have
the disadvantage of how difficult attribution is.  And one side can succeed, in certain respects, even while they're
blind to what their opponent is up to.  In that way the 'cyber' landscape is one in which everyone can see relatively
well the situation of their opponents but a good mirror is hard to find.

Not that you're saying this, but this and many other properties of this space make physical / geographical metaphors
really faulty.

Josh