Dailydave mailing list archives

Re: Commission on Cybersecurity for the 44th Presidency and your right to cyber (security)

From: Michal Zalewski <lcamtuf () coredump cx>
Date: Tue, 31 Aug 2010 19:26:25 -0700

Certification is coming, like it or not.  I do not like it,
but it is coming.  The driver is a direct consequence of,
and a direct confirmation that, the demand for security
expertise exceeds the supply which makes the charlatan
fraction rise especially as legal liability looks ever
more likely to be serious.

If you look at the archives of attrition.org, I actually suspect that
the charlatan fraction is about as strong as always, and not
particularly threatening to the legitimate business; and, given that,
as that report sensibly acknowledges, even fairly reputable
certifications do very little to generate highly qualified security
personnel, I doubt any action along these lines would make much of a
difference.

The real problem seems to be that the government has suddenly realized
it needs top-notch IT and infosec expertise; and it can't get much of
it, largely because of the peculiar leadership and management
structures, and other problems that tend to be self-correcting in the
commercial sector (particularly in the civilian arm of the .mil
domain).

This is also fueled by people who see this trend as a good career
opportunity, and further perpetuate the sense of utmost urgency; but I
genuinely think that despite all the high-flying rhetoric, companies
and governments alike have more to fear from bored teenagers, than
from enemies of the state; see:

http://lcamtuf.blogspot.com/2010/06/intrusion-detection-doing-it-wrong.html

/mz