Dailydave mailing list archives

Re: visualizing security techniques

From: Marsh Ray <marsh () extendedsubset com>
Date: Mon, 06 Dec 2010 12:35:44 -0600

On 11/04/2010 07:20 PM, travis+ml-dailydave () subspacefield org wrote:
So for those of you who make presentations for non-experts, I was
wondering if you had any ideas on how to create compelling
graphics/video/animations for security presentations.

There are a lot of good "security fail" pictures floating around the
net. Sometimes these illustrate perfectly even some relatively deep
principles and everyone in the audience can relate to them.

Now, I don't need fancy graphics to explain something to this list - I
can just say DEP or ALSR or ROP and we're all on the same page.  But
for teaching the concept in the first place... sometimes some
animation is worth a thousand words.

Yep.

I almost finished an electrical engineering degree before switching to
CS, and I found myself inventing a method for visualizing linear
circuits.  Electricity was water, a capacitor was a bladder,

The books I read just had a wide pool or a literal tank.

resistors
were narrowing of the pipes, and an inductor was... well, no direct
analogy,

That's a hard one. A paddlewheel with an inertial flywheel?

but I had a visualization for the magnetic field building up
and collapsing.  Turns out I wasn't the only one who did this, but I
was upset I had to invent it independently.

When I was little, the cell phone store "Radio Shack" used to sell
discrete components. They had an booklet series on electronics which
explored this analogy pretty thoroughly with cartoons.

Other things that really could benefit from visualization are mixing
in radio circuits and "beat frequencies" in audio.

Sometimes you just can't beat a primitive oscilloscope.

So, does anyone have good ideas on making presentations for teaching
security concepts?  Do you guys have personal ways for visualizing
any security techniques or processes?

I've been experimenting with OpenGL lately. I saw a vendor discussing a
product which gave a 3D depiction of the subject network. If/when WebGL
exposes 3D to Javascript in a useful way, we might expect that format to
become more commonplace.

I'm mostly interested in F/LOSS tools, which certainly limits the
options available.

I haven't found anything you can't do yet with OSS apps, that really
needs doing.

I use lyx with the Beamer template for
presentations, which produces nice PDFs, but it can't do animations or
embedded video clips.

It depends on your audience and it depends on your message, but IMHO
those things are usually more of a distraction. But don't listen to me,
I'm not exactly a master presenter.

The few times I've tried to mix video into a presentation it didn't go
smoothly. It's hard to get the sound level right. One time it cut off
the critical last few seconds of the clip for no reason - this was a
commercial product on a Mac.

I currently have a mixed-media presentation in early stages. I'm
thinking of just having the animation code run live the whole time and
interacting with it as part of the talk rather than trying to switch
apps and stuff in the middle of the talk. The challenge may be then to
make it not feel like a software demo.

PS: If anyone here has network security inclinations, perhaps you
can tell me how to best graphically explain this:

http://www.subspacefield.org/security/dfd/

May I suggest a policy of not drawing a brick wall that's on fire?
Perhaps you could start a trend.

Your app reminds me of http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maxwell%27s_demon
which has a long tradition of visual depictions. You might look there
for inspiration.

Dave doesn't usually take a lot of follow-ups, but for anyone who's
interested, we should continue the discussion with off-list CC.

- Marsh