Dailydave mailing list archives

Re: Automatic Exploitation Paper Peer Review

From: jmsc12 () hush ai
Date: Tue, 14 Dec 2010 18:01:39 +0000

On Mon, Dec 13, 2010 at 10:24 PM, Martin Žember <zember () gmail com>
wrote:

On Sun, Dec 12, 2010 at 7:38 PM, Konrads Smelkovs
<konrads () smelkovs com> wrote:
... how about producing a list of Dailydave approved
research topics in form of thesis titles and maybe few pointers
in the right
direction?

A list of suggested topics is a very good idea. If the students or
professors are able to reach it.

Until a list arises, they can ask in the list before starting a
project or thesis and I recommend it. We tried it two years ago
and
received many answers. (Thank you, guys! In case someone is
interested
in the result: a proxy fuzzer has been made that dissects the
underlying protocol using Wireshark. It fuzzes "automatically" -
more
at hotfuzz.atteq.com).

This thread comes at exactly the right time.
I'm studying for an one-year MSc in information security and at
this time of the year I am looking for potential ideas for my
thesis. I suppose many others are in a similar position.

A list of interesting or useful topics from the point of view of
the security community/industry would be a huge, huge help. Since I
don't plan to continue in academia, I don't want to do a research
project with no practical use at all, or something that, lets say,
a potential employer in an interview would find completely
uninteresting. Of course I'm aware that a student like me may not
have the necessary skills to do something of particular importance
especially under the deadlines that are by the end of the summer
for most, but at least it may be marginally useful for some.

Also, if such a list of project ideas gets written eventually, it
should really have topics under different categories, eg kernel/os
sec, webapp security, mobile sec, netsec, forensics etc and under
different levels of difficulty I guess.

That hotfuzz thing that was mentioned was really interesting - but
I can't imagine someone who is still a student to come up with an
idea like that by himself - and surely not with guidance from an
academic professor.

So, please share your thoughts on potential project ideas!

john