Dailydave mailing list archives

Re: Quick Review: Cyberwar as a Confidence Game by Martin C. Libicki

From: Marsh Ray <marsh () extendedsubset com>
Date: Wed, 23 Mar 2011 20:23:49 -0500

Is it the Cold War? ... Yeah, I suppose you could call it that.

Is it World War III? ...No, I notice a distinct lack of me being vaporized.

Both of these terms are useful, but one is more political and the other
more usefully technical. My view is that we need a rather strict test
for 'cyberwar' if it's going to be a term with any meaning.

* Industrial and military espionage: not cyberwar
* For-profit crime or extortion rackets: not cyberwar
* Coordinated DoS attack on government, political, or social media
websites: not cyberwar

Based on wild speculation and unscientific extrapolation from public
information, I suspect that when it really is cyberwar you won't find
yourself in doubt.

In the first 24-48 hours we might expect:

* Banking networks and ATMs will go out.
* Phone and internet will be severely degraded or down.
* The power will become unreliable or go down entirely.
* Traffic lights may go out, water may go out.
* Malware which spreads wirelessly between every car of some very common
model induces brake or accelerator failure, causing a massive number of
nearly-simultaneous accidents which shut down major traffic routes.
* Gas stations and grocery stores will be functioning on mostly cash and
have minimal resupply.
* People don't go to work. Financial exchanges dill not open.
* Various industrial systems may be permanently damaged but you may not
know the extent of it at the time unless they emit visible flames or
other hazardous material.

Together, these things sound like a bad made-for-TV movie about Y2K. But
most of us on this list know that they are all technically plausible
individually.

These are the things that separate modern society from the third world.
After a just a few days of this, densely populated areas will look like
post-Katrina New Orleans or post-tsunami Tōhoku just without the soggy
destroyed buildings.

At this point, even the most restrained of nations will be going all-in
with whatever kinetic response they can muster. Any distinction
remaining between cyber- and non-cyber- war will seem ridiculously
academic. But given the difficulty of rapid accurate attribution, the
retaliating country may have to resort to picking some usual-suspect
adversary almost at random and attempt to make him pay. (Notice how
quick most are willing to accept the attribution of the Comodo CA
compromise at face value because it appears to have been sourced from
Iranian IP address space?)

Post-Stux, most major nations are right now said to be allocating
big-program military resources for offensive cyber capabilities, the
result of which will likely be some cavernous command center with big
screens on the wall and cyber-cadets tapping touch screens to click
buttons on some PHP app which pwn preconfigured targets.

But it seems like in many cases an accurate post-attack assessment will
rely on the function of the same network systems that are disintegrating
under attack. Obtaining real time feedback beyond "yep, it's off" will
be difficult and will be further enhanced by any countermeasures and
counterattacks the other party may deploy. So, much like in a nuclear
war where a "use em or lose em" principle was expected to encourage
rapid escalation, in a cyberwar the commander may soon find himself in a
"use em _and_ lose em" scenario which eventually degrades to clicking on
the attack buttons blind.

So perhaps a true cyberwar is when the order is given to "push all the
buttons", or the point at which it becomes a near-certain eventuality.
Interestingly, this point may be obeservable only in retrospect.