Dailydave mailing list archives

Re: Quick Review: Cyberwar as a Confidence Game by Martin C. Libicki

From: Yiorgos Adamopoulos <yiorgos.adamopoulos () gmail com>
Date: Tue, 22 Mar 2011 12:00:31 +0200

On Tue, Mar 22, 2011 at 3:43 AM, Val Smith <valsmith () attackresearch com> wrote:
There is a fundamental problem with this discussion. Those who actually
work in the field of cyber-war (if it exists ;) can't comment, or can
only comment in a vague way or one which disinforms. At least in this
country and probably the others.

This may be true. I gave a talk based on my experiences on
cyberdefense exercises and it is quite difficult to speak meaningfully
in the open public.

With the paper at hand I think there is a terminology problem. The
same word means different things to different people and it is my
understanding that Libicki uses more narrow (strict) definitions for
cyberwar than most would expect. However in the case of this paper, I
too am guilty of reading it diagonally and although I like reading him
and generally agree with his views, his last paragraph does not
connect well with my mindset.

(Should not one invite Libicki in the discussion? It would help the
discussion and could lead to a better understanding of what he wrote
and what we understood).
--
http://gr.linkedin.com/in/yiorgos