Dailydave mailing list archives

Re: Cyber Situational Awareness

From: Carlos Alexandre Queiroz <caxqueiroz () gmail com>
Date: Thu, 1 Dec 2011 15:43:19 +1100

Hi there,

I think you missed the point and you have shown a very narrow view of what Situation Awareness is, and Cyber
Situational Awareness, for that matter.

Of course Instrumentation is important. Without the raw data there is not much to be done. However, the analysis of the
data is much more important. Without analysis there is a huge potential that the data will be missed, as nowadays we
are collecting more and more data.

Just because we are using an instrumentation and the "attackers" do not know about it does not guarantee you will make
good use of it.

For example, we all know that DHS flags suspicious airplane passengers. The suspected bomber that tried to blow up the
northwest airlines flight 253 was flagged in one of the "three letters" agencies databases but no analysis was carried
on and he successfully boarded the plane. The data was there, the instrumentation worked, but the analysis failed.

Cheers,
cq