Dailydave mailing list archives

Re: Paid-for Vendor talk .... seems legit?

From: DeepSec Conference <deepsec () deepsec net>
Date: Thu, 22 Mar 2012 18:21:16 +0100

Dear Dave,

not every conference does that.

We choose our keynotes carefully and make sure that they don't have a
vendor or product pitch. And we pay for travel and accommodation for
all speakers, including key note...

regards, DeepSec

On 21 March 2012 14:26, Dave Aitel <dave () immunityinc com> wrote:
Why is it that every conference has gone the full hog and decided that you
must sell keynotes? When I tried to watch the Whitman Diffie keynote  at BH
EU, it was proceeded by a 30 minute Fortigate infomercial. RSA had like 5
paid-for keynotes for every one real keynote. Everyone who hasn't should
watch http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I7iM5CbBLBY to see why this is a
terrible idea. Even if the paid-for talks (and they're not just keynotes!)
were good, it should still be considered an unacceptable way to run a
technical conference.

Here's my promise about INFILTRATE 2013 - there will be no paid talks. None.
We choose talks solely based on technical content, speaking skill, and
amount of Buffy quotes.

Example (assuming you are speaking about some part of the industry
perhaps?):
Xander: Well, how about this: we whip out the Ouija board, light a few
candles, summon some ancient unstoppable evil? Mayhem, mayhem, mayhem; we
show up and and kick its ass. Giles [pauses to contemplate]: A wee bit
unethical.

-dave

--
INFILTRATE 2013 January 10th-11th in Miami - the world's best offensive
information security conference.