Dailydave mailing list archives

Re: Improvements

From: Chris Kuethe <chris.kuethe () gmail com>
Date: Thu, 16 Feb 2017 11:46:12 -0800

On Wed, Feb 15, 2017 at 10:59 AM, Wim Remes <wremes () gmail com> wrote:

The biggest roadblock is that every traditional security vendor is trying
to be the "data hub", hoarding information. Badly constructed and horribly
documented APIs, stupid myopic dashboards, rate limiting on APIs, etc. etc.
are the trademarks of those data hoarders. I wonder how long it takes
before they realize they're contributing more by becoming data providers.
Hell, every RFP for security products should score their ability to provide
data.

They'll realize it when you specifically tell them that data hoarding is
costing them the sale: "you don't provide us with an API to build our own
custom integrations, a real-time event feed, or machine-readable bulk
history download. Your product may look shiny but until we can hook it up
to our own existing systems we won't give you any money. Having it on the
roadmap doesn't count - come back when the PoC can talk to our splunk."