Dailydave mailing list archives

The Lost Decade of Security Metrics

From: Dave Aitel via Dailydave <dailydave () lists aitelfoundation org>
Date: Tue, 5 Jan 2021 09:39:10 -0500

A thousand years ago I subscribed to the Security Metrics mailing list.
Metrics are important - or rather, I think good decision making is
important, and without metrics your decision making is essentially luck.
But we haven't seen any progress on this in a decade, and I wanted to talk
about the meta-reason why: Oversimplification in the hopes of scaling.

There's a theme in security metrics, a deep Wrong, that the community
cannot correct, of trying to devolve features in their datasets to a single
number. CVSS is the most obvious example, but Sasha's VEP paper here (
https://www.lawfareblog.com/developing-objective-repeatable-scoring-system-vulnerability-equities-process)
demonstrates most clearly the categorical example of the oversimplification
issue, one that all of FIRST has  seemingly fallen into.

If I took all the paintings in the world, and ran them through a neural
network to score them 1.0 through 10.0, the resulting number would be, like
CVSS, useless. Right now on the Metrics mailing list someone is soliciting
for a survey where they ask people how they are using CVSS and how
useful it might be for them. But the more useful you think CVSS is for you,
the less useful it actually is being, since it can only lead you to wasting
the little security budget you have. *CVSS is the phrenology of security
metrics.* Being simple and easy to use does not make it helpful for
rational decision making.

If we want to make progress, we have to admit that we cannot join the
false-positive and false-negative and throughput numbers of our WAF in any
way. They must remain three different numbers. We can perhaps work on
visualizing or representing this information differently, but they're in
different dimensions and cannot be combined. The same is true for
vulnerabilities. The reason security managers are reaching for a yes/no "Is
there an exploit available" metric for patch prioritization is that CVSS
does not work, and won't ever work, and despite the sunk cost the community
has put into it, should be thrown out wholesale.

-dave