BreachExchange mailing list archives

More on the BofA card-cancellations

From: Chris Walsh <cwalsh () cwalsh org>
Date: Fri, 10 Feb 2006 09:39:10 -0600

From today's American Banker Online
(http://www.americanbanker.com/datasecurityscan.html [paywall]):

Julie Davis, a B of A spokeswoman, told American Banker that to her knowledge
                                                             ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
no major security breach has occurred in recent weeks at a third party that
                                      ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
works with B of A, and that the cards that were reissued were likely not
connected to a single event.

"It's part of our normal process to block and reissue cards when there is any
potential for fraud," she said. A group of "customers receiving a letter don't
necessarily indicate that they are from the same incident."

[I underlined certain parts]

Depending on what "recent" means, this *could* be Sam's Club fallout (among
other things).  Of course, unless people actually reveal information, we will
never know, will we?