BreachExchange mailing list archives

Los Angeles - "Straight Outta Compton"

From: lyger <lyger () attrition org>
Date: Fri, 22 Sep 2006 22:39:17 -0400 (EDT)

(as asked before, is "dumpster diving" the new "laptop theft" for the
media?  even better (or worse), will we see journos jumping into trash for
a story now?  seems to be about the third or fourth time in the last
week... - lyger)

http://www.nbc4.tv/news/9909867/detail.html

What easier way to steal your identity than if your personal financial
information is sitting in the trash for hundreds of people to grab?

Documents about you -- the government threw out. We uncovered another
breach of security that might include your personal and financial
information -- information tossed in the trash at a courthouse.

SAMUEL STEELE: That's my Social Security number, the correct everything,
my birth date, driver's license and address.

[...]