BreachExchange mailing list archives

Re: Personal experiences? Was Re: VISA / 1ST BANK

From: Al Mac <macwheel99 () sigecom net>
Date: Sat, 21 Oct 2006 00:48:51 -0500

I have had one trivial notification that some personal information was
compromised.

I had one incident in which I initially thought I was an ID theft victim,
because I was in trouble for not paying an account I did not have, but it
turned out to be bank error, that still hurt my credit rating.

I have ID theft insurance as a rider on my personal property insurance.

I now think two waste baskets is best insurance against dumpster divers
(tear up the bills, and put pieces into different garbage containers that
do not get dumped at same time).

By a show of hands (or reply email), how many here have ever received a
breach notification or otherwise been informed that their personal
information was compromised?  In a related question, how many here have
been actual victims of identity theft?