BreachExchange mailing list archives

Re: Data Loss versus Identity Theft

From: "Brannigan, Chris J - Washington, DC" <chris.j.brannigan () usps gov>
Date: Fri, 27 Oct 2006 16:03:16 -0400

"data exposure" vs. "data loss"

fwiw, I usually use the generic term "data exposure" to describe all
types of data breaches, because it can include data records of any type
or quantity being lost, stolen, presented on a public website
inadvertently, sent by its owner to someone else by mistake, etc.

In some very specific circumstances, by itself, "data exposure" can be a
crime all by itself.

for example, the Privacy Act of 1974 can be technically violated by a
fed employee knowingly posting covered personal information on a public
website. and that violation has no dependence on any one accessing or
downloading that data, or making any criminal use of it. HIPAA can be
violated without anyone making any use of the exposed data.

"identity theft" describes a particular criminal activity defined in
numerous state statutes which is performed with unauthorized personal
information that may have been obtained through any number of different
types of "data exposures", including loss, theft, public posting, via
pre-texting, etc.

Chris

fwiw, CIPP/G