BreachExchange mailing list archives

UT: Data found on surplus computers

From: lyger <lyger () attrition org>
Date: Sun, 13 May 2007 06:52:56 +0000 (UTC)

http://deseretnews.com/dn/view/0,1249,660220231,00.html

Utah State Auditor Auston Johnson conducted a "sting" operation a year ago
that found important information - including Social Security and credit
card numbers - on a handful of state surplus computers that were heading
toward public sale.

But Johnson decided to write what is known as "letter audits" to the seven
state department heads on whose computers such sensitive information was
found, instead of issuing a normal public audit, because Johnson didn't
want to alert owners of state surplus computers that such sensitive
information may be on their machines' hard drives.

"We were not out for a big publicity splash, but to fix a problem,"
Johnson said Friday. "And we have high confidence that the problem has
been fixed and that no state surplus computers have this information on
them now."

[...]