BreachExchange mailing list archives

follow-up: Credit card headaches from TJX breach remain (fwd)

From: security curmudgeon <jericho () attrition org>
Date: Fri, 10 Aug 2007 12:58:33 +0000 (UTC)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: InfoSec News <alerts () infosecnews org>

http://www.boston.com/business/personalfinance/articles/2007/08/09/credit_card_headaches_from_tjx_breach_remain/

By Se Young Lee
Globe Correspondent
August 9, 2007

Almost seven months after the biggest security breach of financial data in
the nation was revealed, some banks still appear to be sorting out which
of their credit card customers were put at risk.

Retail giant TJX Cos., with headquarters in Framingham, revealed this
spring that at least 45.7 million credit and debit card numbers were
compromised by hackers who gained access to the company's computer systems
in the second half of 2005 as well as from May 2006 to January of this
year. But some companies, such as Citibank, are still reissuing cards for
customers whose information may have been exposed.

"As a preventative measure we are in the process of notifying and issuing
new credit and debit cards to some customers whom we believe may be
subject to increased risk," Citibank said in a statement yesterday.

[..]