BreachExchange mailing list archives

Rhode Island says disk with Social Security numbers is missing

From: lyger <lyger () attrition org>
Date: Sat, 22 Mar 2008 21:56:21 +0000 (UTC)

http://www.southcoasttoday.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080321/NEWS/803210414/-1/NEWS01

A state computer disk containing the Social Security numbers of nearly
1,400 people is missing, the state Department of Administration announced
Friday.

The department said there was no evidence that any number had been misused
or that the disk had fallen into the hands of an unauthorized person. It
was working with the Rhode Island State Police to find the disk.

"We do not believe that it was stolen, we just believe it was misplaced at
this point in time," said Melanie Marcaccio, the department's deputy
personnel director. "We don't believe that individuals outside of the
organization had any access to that data at any point in that time."

[...]