BreachExchange mailing list archives

fringe: verizon archive security glitch?

From: security curmudgeon <jericho () attrition org>
Date: Sat, 7 Jun 2008 20:11:17 +0000 (UTC)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
From: Deborah Alexander [dsalexan () optonline net]
Subject: verizon archive security glitch?

Dave ? for IP-ers, if you think of use...

Scrolling blogs this a.m., I came across a posting that seems interesting in light of the presumptive Republican Presidential Candidate?s views about telecoms, privacy and immunity:

From
http://www.explananda.com/

On Thursday morning, I was trying to access some old cell phone bills online at www.verizonwireless.com. As I clicked through the months, most of the time the correct bill came up (as a pdf). But twice for some reason verizonwireless.com served up someone else?s bill. The first time I just absentmindedly clicked away and tried again. But the second time it occurred to me that there was something really squirrelly about the fact that I was able to access some other random dude?s bill. I could see all the calls that this guy made in September, 2007, his account number, and the fact that his bill was past due that month. That?s hardly the biggest security breach in history, but it?s also a legitimate concern for people who care about their privacy, and rely on companies to take reasonable steps to secure personal information.

I spent 30 minutes on the phone with Verizon trying to get someone to understand that there was clearly some technical glitch on their end, and that it raised a privacy issue (and a potential legal issue for them).

<snip>

[Verizon] promised me that someone would call me back with an explanation. No one has called yet.

I also made them promise to call this guy and tell him that someone else had been able to view information that should have been kept private, but about 5 minutes after I got off the phone with them I realized that that was unlikely. So I called the guy up and left a message. He called back a few hours later. No one from Verizon had called him.

<snip>

[ADDED BY WAY OF FOLLOW UP COMMENT]:

I found it sort of interesting from an organizational perspective. Obviously Verizon gets a lot of calls from a lot of angry or strange people every day. So they need pretty robust filters, so that upper level managers don?t have to talk to every crackpot who calls with some issue that the operators aren?t in a position to properly assess. The result is that there was apparently no way at all for them to escalate the issue efficiently and effectively. According to them - and this may well be true - they just couldn?t get a hold of a supervisor who would be high up and smart enough to grasp the legal implications of my point, let alone the privacy and public relations aspect.

<snip>