BreachExchange mailing list archives

Laptop stolen at SF Ca Airport with data of 33000 travelers

From: Henry Brown <hbrown () knology net>
Date: Tue, 05 Aug 2008 04:36:48 -0500

http://abclocal.go.com/kgo/story?section=news/local&id=6306342

SAN FRANCISCO (KGO) -- A stolen laptop has prompted administrators of a
popular airport program to implement new security measures. The computer
was stolen over the weekend at San Francisco International and thousands
of passengers' personal records were taken along with it.

For the past year, travelers at SFO have had the option to enroll in the
Clear Registered Traveler Program. Those who sign up get a biometric ID
card, which allows them to bypass regular security lines for $128 a year.

[...]

Over the weekend, the popular program ran into a security breach.
Someone entered the Clear office at SFO and stole a laptop computer. It
contained records of 33,000 applicants. Information included names,
addresses, birthdates, and in some cases, driver's license and passport
numbers.

[...]

The company says the thief would have to bypass two separate passwords
to obtain any personal information. Even so, the Transportation Security
Administration is temporarily prohibiting new customers from enrolling
in the Clear program.

[...]

No telling how long the enrollment process will be suspended, the TSA
says it will depend on how long it will take for the company that runs
Clear to notify its applicants and improve the security on its computers.

"Basically what we're doing is we're downloading new software into all
our laptops at the airports, more encrypted and revisiting all the
enrollment procedures here," said David Pfeiffer, the Clear general manager.

[...]

As for who stole the laptop in the first place, authorities are still
investigating. There were no apparent signs of a break-in.