BreachExchange mailing list archives

Re: University of MD mails 24000 SSN on front of envelope

From: Arshad Noor <arshad.noor () strongauth com>
Date: Wed, 23 Jul 2008 09:46:51 -0700

Couldn't agree with you more, Michael.  In fact, the lack of training
of involved personnel, and the lack of a culture that encourages "risk
detection and management" is probably the single biggest weakness in
most IT environments today.  There is far too much trust placed in
technology and not enough in the ability and training of humans to
address security risks.  While I would like to say that companies lose
as a result of this myopia, in the long-term  we consumers wind up
paying for those losses, unfortunately.

Arshad Noor
StrongAuth, Inc.

Michael Hill, CITRMS wrote:
Lack of education and training given to employees, contractors and service
providers to help spot security vulnerabilities.  Periodic training
emphasizes the importance you place on meaningful data security practices.
A well-trained workforce is just as important defense against identity theft
and data breaches as are physical and electronic security.

In this case, I cant believe nobody in the whole process did not spot the
SSN or at least question it when seeing a 9 digit number.  Training
certainly could have uncovered this, though we will never know.