BreachExchange mailing list archives

Re: Visa Puts Heartland on Probation Over Breach

From: "DAIL, WILLARD A" <ADAIL () sunocoinc com>
Date: Fri, 13 Mar 2009 10:03:34 -0400

I've met some very sharp QSA's, and some who could use a lot of training
or experience.  I'd say pretty much at the same rate as other security
professionals.

The notion that PCI companies are somehow worse off than the general
business community is, I think, inaccurate.  Security has to be
functional at some point and yes, PCI leaves room for improvement as a
program, but it sure as heck is better than nothing, and nothing is
exactly what most merchants were doing before PCI was forced on them by
the card brands.

A comparison would be to look at the rate of breaches among PCI-scoped
Acquiring Banks, and non PCI-scoped issuing banks.  The issuing banks
have top security people, operate under GLBA and other tight federal
requirements, and they still get breached.

I've also observed that IT Security is still very much an art, rather
than a science (meaning it is not always repeatable and verifiable given
the same set of circumstances).  As an art, it requires an artist.
Artists do seem to think they have "the correct interpretation" and
their way is the right way.  I've also been amazed at the egos present
in this field, by people who really shouldn't indulge the luxury of
having one.

It's very easy for inexperience IT Security staffers to get caught up in
the technology of the job.  The real truth is that the technology is
merely a set of tools to help observe, and to some degree regulate,
human behaviors.