BreachExchange mailing list archives

Re: Unnamed Acquirer Processor Breach Timeline

From: Tom Mahoney <lists () merchant911 org>
Date: Fri, 27 Feb 2009 10:23:15 -0500

Yes, every CNP merchant should do those things, but they are
unreliable at best.  My files are full of reports from merchants who
have completed transactions passing AVS and CVV2, shipping to the
billto address with proof of delivery and still loosing chargebacks.
We've even see it happen when the merchant is enrolled in Payer Auth.
although that service does seem to be better in the last  year or so.

At 8:55 AM -0600 2/27/09,  Urban, Michael typed out:
One way for merchants to protect themselves from fraudulent CNP
transactions related to these (or any) cards is to perform address
verification and request CVV2.  Any CNP merchant who authorizes a new
(or even existing) customer's transaction with only the card number and
expiration date is taking a risk.

But I may be missing something...

--

Tom Mahoney, Founder & Director
Over 3800 Merchants united to protect themselves