BreachExchange mailing list archives

Questions for Wal-mart re: PCI compliance

From: security curmudgeon <jericho () attrition org>
Date: Fri, 15 May 2009 00:53:14 +0000 (UTC)

Last month, Dave w/ DatalossDB.org commented [1] that the Primary Sources
project uncovered a dataloss incident at Wal-mart [2]. A few things to
note:

- Information taken consisted of 48,000 associates residing in Illinois
- Breach happened in mid 2007
- Breach was not specific to Illinois

DatalossDB / OSF have sent out numerous FOIA requests to states that have
mandatory disclosure laws. The results of those requests had no mention of
Wal-mart. It's been almost two years since the incident happened, and
there has been no media coverage of the incident. This coincides with
Wal-mart joining the PCI Advisory board [3] which has a certain bit of
irony.

    "Wal-Mart takes very seriously the protection of customer data and we
    are honored to have a position on the Advisory Board, Michael A. Coo,
    vice president and assistant treasurer [of Wal-mart], said in a
    statement. PCI is not a one-time project or issue. The industry`s
    efforts to maintain the safety of cardholders` data will continue to be
    an ongoing challenge. We appreciate the confidence placed in us and we
    will strive to be a responsible, contributing member of the board.

This brings many questions to mind. Would Wal-Mart or Michael Coo like to
answer?

- Why isn't the media covering it?
- Why did Wal-mart disclose to Illinois, and not others?
- Was Wal-mart PCI certified during this time?
- Did Wal-mart accept the position knowing about their own breach?

Last, we have heard rumors from two sources now that the breach mentioned
above was the *second* to occur at Wal-mart. The first known incident was
due to an employee/insider taking information. Rumors regarding the second
breach say it was a long term, systematic external intrusion into the
Wal-mart network. Does anyone have information on the rumored second
event? Corroboration of the information we have learned would be
interesting to say the least.

- security curmudgeon

[1] http://datalossdb.org/incident_highlights/26-walmart-primary-sources-left-field
[2] http://www.walmart.com/