BreachExchange mailing list archives

MD Bank Dumps Identities into Trash

From: kirniki <kirniki () gmail com>
Date: Tue, 13 Oct 2009 22:18:29 -0400

http://www.abc2news.com/news/local/story/MD-Bank-Dumps-Identities-into-Trash/wV5sp_lKOk-8hcfRRf0joQ.cspx

It's a local bank you trust with your money and your personal
information.  But the M&T branch in Rodgers Forge didn't shelter all
of some peoples' secrets.  As ABC2 News Investigator Joce Sterman
discovered, some of the documents that contain them didn't get
shredded, they got dumped.

It's the little machine experts say you've got to have to keep your
personal information safe.  Banks are supposed to use the same
technology to protect you.  But we found one Baltimore County bank
didn't send your stuff through the shredder, they simply tossed it.

Sandi and Ray Watts are angry.  We got our hands on their social
security numbers, their bank account info and we even know their
mother's maiden names.  And we got it from their bank.  The couple
says they’re outraged with Ray telling us, "You get letters from them
that they're protecting your identity and then they do this."

What the bank did was dump the Watts’ documents and dozens of others
without shredding them.  We found them in a bright red dumpster in
Rodgers Forge, outside the M&T that recently took over Bradford Bank.
We sifted through the trash to find stacks of cancelled checks written
just days ago.  We also found page after page of papers that list not
only who banks here but their account numbers and how much dough they
have.

[..]