BreachExchange mailing list archives

GA: Personal information compromised after Dollar Tree's computer is hacked

From: kirniki <kirniki () gmail com>
Date: Tue, 15 Dec 2009 13:43:05 -0500

http://www.wrdw.com/home/headlines/79261427.html

NORTH AUGUSTA -- Welcome to the Dollar Tree, where everything's a
dollar. But for some customers, the cost of shopping there could have
been a lot more.

"Identity theft and everything," said Josephine Prescott. "You never
know who's stealing your identity, so when I shop, basically, I use
cash now."

Most of what you buy in this dollar tree costs just a few bucks, but
credit cards are still used. That created a problem over the weekend.
Employees say someone hacked into the store's computers, potentially
exposing sensitive customer information.

North Augusta Public Safety says so far there have been no identity
theft complaints from Dollar Tree customers. The store agreed, telling
News 12 there were no victims from the incident.

[..]