BreachExchange mailing list archives

Privacy Costs and Personal Data Protection: Economic and Legal Perspectives

From: "Sasha Romanosky" <sromanos () andrew cmu edu>
Date: Fri, 18 Dec 2009 00:49:04 -0500

For anyone interested, I finally managed to post a recent paper online,
titled: Privacy Costs and Personal Data Protection: Economic and Legal
Perspectives.

The point of the paper is to compare alternative policy regimes a legislator
(i.e. govt) might use to reduce data breaches and the consumer/privacy costs
resulting from those breaches. We contrast a) regulations that require
minimum standards of care, b) a liability regime that allows victims to
recover damages through lawsuits, and c) information disclosure that
empowers potential victims to take action to reduce harms.

The paper can be downloaded from http://ssrn.com/abstract=1522605.

cheers,
sasha