BreachExchange mailing list archives

AL: Customer debit card numbers stolen from one or more local businesses

From: kirniki <kirniki () gmail com>
Date: Wed, 17 Feb 2010 21:14:51 -0500

http://www.cullmantimes.com/local/x1230898789/Customer-debit-card-numbers-stolen-from-one-or-more-local-businesses

CULLMAN — Hanceville police are cautioning residents to be on guard
against a sophisticated debit card wire scam that has leached hundreds
of thousands of dollars from customers whose card numbers have been
stolen remotely from pay terminals at one or more local businesses.

The primary target in the theft so far has been the Dairy Queen
restaurant located at 812 Main Street in Hanceville. Police say they
are unsure whether their investigation will ultimately involve other
businesses.

“At that location, somebody has apparently tapped into the Internet
server and hacked into the debit card system, and they're printing out
the customers’ debit card numbers and using them all over California
and Georgia,” said Hanceville police Capt. Jimmy Rodgers.

“We believe they have taken several hundred thousands of dollars,”
Rodgers said. “We have been investigating this for about two weeks,
but it has gotten so big and they are using such a sophisticated
method that we have contacted the secret service to assist us in this
investigation. A department our size does not have the capability or
the resources to conduct this type of investigation without some
assistance from people who deal with it regularly.”

[..]