BreachExchange mailing list archives

Hackers Steal Local Credit Card Info

From: security curmudgeon <jericho () attrition org>
Date: Thu, 19 May 2011 22:10:24 -0500 (CDT)

http://www.ketv.com/news/27959394/detail.html

Hackers Steal Local Credit Card Info
POSTED: 9:04 pm CDT May 19, 2011

OMAHA, Neb. -- Sarpy County Sheriff.s deputies are investigating an
identity theft case involving hackers who went after personal information
using customers credit and debit cards.

Investigators said Thursday they are dealing with more than fifty victims
from across the Omaha metro area, all unknowingly targeted in the last few
days or weeks. Investigators blame a breach of security through a credit
card processor.

Heidi Hammond and her husband got word from their bank that something
wasn.t right with their accounts.

"I looked at my online statement, and it said there were charges from
Brooklyn, New York," said Hammond. Hammond said she never made the
charges, and that she and her husband were never even in New York.

[..]