BreachExchange mailing list archives

Groupon leaks entire Indian user database

From: security curmudgeon <jericho () attrition org>
Date: Mon, 27 Jun 2011 19:01:49 -0500 (CDT)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Patrick Gray <patrick () dotbob net>

http://risky.biz/sosasta

Groupon leaks entire Indian user database
Dude where's my .sql?

By Patrick Gray

June 28, 2011 -- The user database of Groupon's Indian subsidiary
Sosasta.com was accidentally published to the Internet and indexed by
Google.

The database includes the e-mail addresses and clear-text passwords of
300,000 users. It was discovered by Australian security consultant Daniel
Grzelak as he searched for publicly accessible databases containing e-mail
address and password pairs.

Grzelak used Google to search for SQL database files that were web
accessible and contained keywords like "password" and "gmail".

"A few hours and tweaks later, this database came up," he said. "I started
scrolling, and scrolling and I couldn't get to the bottom of the file.
Then I realised how big it actually was."