BreachExchange mailing list archives

follow-up: Epsilon beefs up email security 92 days after data breach

From: security curmudgeon <jericho () attrition org>
Date: Thu, 30 Jun 2011 02:27:52 -0500 (CDT)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: InfoSec News <alerts () infosecnews org>

http://www.dmnews.com/epsilon-beefs-up-email-security-92-days-after-data-breach/article/206307/

By Juan Martinez
Direct Marketing News
June 29, 2011

Marketing services firm Epsilon has added new security enhancements to its
email marketing platform in collaboration with Verizon Business, Epsilon
president and CEO Bryan Kennedy told Direct Marketing News on June 28. The
new features include enhanced protection for Epsilon's information
technology (IT) infrastructure and the ability to track malicious IP
addresses.

?Epsilon has always taken security seriously and consistently surpassed
established industry standards and requirements,? Kennedy said in an
email. ?This partnership demonstrates our ongoing commitment to protect
our clients and their customers from cyber attacks.?

Epsilon said it will also launch access restrictions through its IP
certification requirements in the third quarter that will allow only
white-listed IP addresses access to Epsilon's email platform.

?Certifying or white-listing IP addresses means that we require clients to
register physical points of access to the platform in advance of their
ability to utilize the platform from those locations,? Kennedy explained.
?While this is a trade-off in the kind of flexibility clients have
requested in the past, we believe it is a logical approach that enhances
security, and clients understand that.?

[...]