BreachExchange mailing list archives

BlueToad, Inc. responsible for Apple UDID Theft

From: security curmudgeon <jericho () attrition org>
Date: Mon, 10 Sep 2012 11:55:23 -0500 (CDT)

http://blog.bluetoad.com/2012/09/10/statement-from-bluetoad-regarding-the-cyber-attack-suffered-in-the-recent-case-of-stolen-apple-udids/

Statement from BlueToad regarding the cyber attack suffered in the recent
case of stolen Apple UDIDs

Posted on September 10, 2012 by BlueToad Inc.
Written by Paul DeHart, CEO and President

A little more than a week ago, BlueToad was the victim of a criminal cyber
attack, which resulted in the theft of Apple UDIDs from our systems.
Shortly thereafter, an unknown group posted these UDIDs on the Internet.
At BlueToad, we understand the importance of protecting the safety and
security of information contained on our systems.

Although we successfully defend against thousands of cyber attacks each
day, this determined criminal attack ultimately resulted in a breach to a
portion of our systems.

When we discovered that we were the likely source of the information in
question, we immediately reached out to law enforcement to inform them and
to cooperate with their ongoing criminal investigation of the parties
responsible for the criminal attack and the posting of the stolen
information.

We have fixed the vulnerability and are working around the clock to ensure
that a security breach doesn't happen again.  In doing so, we have engaged
an independent and nationally-recognized security assurance company to
assist in our ongoing efforts.

We sincerely apologize to our partners, clients, publishers, employees and
users of our apps.  We take information security very seriously and have
great respect and appreciation for the public.s concern surrounding app
and information privacy.

BlueToad does not collect, nor have we ever collected, highly sensitive
personal information like credit cards, social security numbers or medical
information.  The illegally obtained information primarily consisted of
Apple device names and UDIDs - information that was reported and stored
pursuant to commercial industry development practices.

Upon Apple's recommendation several months ago, we modified our code base
to discontinue the practice of reporting UDIDs.  We have now also
discontinued storing any UDID information sent to our servers by apps that
have not yet been updated to the new code base.

We understand and respect the privacy concerns surrounding the data that
was stolen from our system.  BlueToad believes the risk that the stolen
data can be used to harm app users is very low.  But that certainly
doesn't lessen our resolve to ensure that all data is protected and kept
from those who seek to illegally obtain it.

We will continue to monitor this situation and cooperate with law
enforcement in the investigation of the parties responsible for this
crime.

Supporters:

Risk Based Security (http://www.riskbasedsecurity.com/)
Risk Based Security equips organizations with security intelligence, risk
management services and on-demand security solutions to establish
customized risk-based programs to address information security and
compliance challenges.

Tenable Network Security (http://www.tenable.com/)
Tenable Network Security provides a suite of solutions which unify real-time
vulnerability, event and compliance monitoring into a single, role-based, interface
for administrators, auditors and risk managers to evaluate, communicate and
report needed information for effective decision making and systems management.