BreachExchange mailing list archives

JPMorgan Chase customers see zero balances after technical glitch

From: Erica Absetz <eabsetz () opensecurityfoundation org>
Date: Tue, 19 Mar 2013 09:59:40 -0400

http://www.infoworld.com/d/security/jpmorgan-chase-customers-see-zero-balances-after-technical-glitch-214776

Customers of JPMorgan Chase reported seeing zero balances in their
accounts both online and on mobile, and speculated that the bank's
systems had been hacked into.

The bank however clarified late Monday that it was having a technology
problem regarding customers' balance information that it was working
to resolve.

[ Security expert Roger A. Grimes offers a guided tour of the latest
threats and explains what you can do to stop them in "Fight Today's
Malware," InfoWorld's Shop Talk video. | Keep up with key security
issues with InfoWorld's Security Adviser blogand Security Central
newsletter. ]

"Almost had a heart attack... Haven't checked my balance in a little
bit but it read zero. Gotta be an early April Fool joke or something,"
wrote one user on Twitter. Some otherssuggested that the bank's
systems may have been hacked.

"It has nothing to do with the cyber threats -- it's an internal
issue. We are very sorry to our customers for the inconvenience," the
bank said in a statement.

"Customers are unable to view their checking account balances online
and on mobile. We will keep you updated as we learn more," Chase
support said in an alert on Twitter. It later said, "We're back to
business as usual on Chase.com & Mobile." Chase is the U.S. consumer
and commercial banking business of JPMorgan Chase.

The bank did not however disclose how many customers were affected, or
what was the technical problem that affected its services.

The speculation on social networks like Twitter that the bank was
hacked was probably based on DDoS (distributed denial of service)
attacks that U.S. banks have faced in recent months. A group calling
itself "Izz ad-Din al-Qassam Cyber Fighters," for example,launched
DDoS attacks on the websites of several U.S. banks during September
and October, disrupting online and mobile banking services for long
periods.

The website of Chase was down about a week ago, according to reports.

John Ribeiro covers outsourcing and general technology breaking news
from India for The IDG News Service. Follow John on Twitter at
@Johnribeiro. John's email address isjohn_ribeiro () idg com.