BreachExchange mailing list archives

Important Kickstarter Security Notice (fwd)

From: security curmudgeon <jericho () attrition org>
Date: Sat, 15 Feb 2014 15:29:33 -0600 (CST)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Kickstarter <no-reply () kickstarter com>
Date: Sat, 15 Feb 2014 21:25:31 +0000 (UTC)
Subject: Important Kickstarter Security Notice

On Wednesday night, law enforcement officials contacted Kickstarter and
alerted us that hackers had sought and gained unauthorized access to some
of our customers' data. Upon learning this, we immediately closed the
security breach and began strengthening security measures throughout the
Kickstarter system.

No credit card data of any kind was accessed by hackers. There is no
evidence of unauthorized activity of any kind on your account.

While no credit card data was accessed, some information about our
customers was. Accessed information included usernames, email addresses,
mailing addresses, phone numbers, and encrypted passwords. Actual
passwords were not revealed, however it is possible for a malicious person
with enough computing power to guess and crack an encrypted password,
particularly a weak or obvious one.

As a precaution, we strongly recommend that you change the password of
your Kickstarter account, and other accounts where you use this password.

To change your password, log in to your account at Kickstarter.com and
look for the banner at the top of the page to create a new, secure
password. We recommend you do the same on other sites where you use this
password. For additional help with password security, we recommend tools
like 1Password and LastPass.

We?re incredibly sorry that this happened. We set a very high bar for how
we serve our community, and this incident is frustrating and upsetting. We
have since improved our security procedures and systems in numerous ways,
and we will continue to do so in the weeks and months to come. We are
working closely with law enforcement, and we are doing everything in our
power to prevent this from happening again.

Kickstarter is a vibrant community like no other, and we can?t thank you
enough for being a part of it. Please let us know if you have any
questions, comments, or concerns. You can reach us at
accountsecurity () kickstarter com.

Thank you,
Yancey Strickler
                                   Kickstarter CEO