Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Brief Survey On Handling Hacked Machines

From: Lance Jordan <lancejor () RCI RUTGERS EDU>
Date: Tue, 29 Oct 2002 15:22:29 -0500

Richard

Here is Rutger's response

With that in mind, we are curious about how other universities and institutions
of higher learning deal with such things and have a few questions:

1. What processes are you using to insure desktop security? Are you reactive or
proactive in your approach?

Proactive:

   *  Rutgers initiated a pc purchase program two years ago to help
     academic and administrative departments upgrade desktop systems.
      Computer purchases were subsidized by the university/state and
     the perferred vendors provided attractive pricing on their products.
   *  We have an academic site license for Zone Alarm personal firewall
     software.
   *  We have a university wide site license for McAfee AV software
   * We have an internal scanning program to identify system
     vulnerabilities
   * We have a computer security awareness campaign where we visit
     departments and help them develop security plans
   * We are developing an IDS capability
   * We teach a SANS mentor lead basic level security course (GSEC)
     once a year and we subsidize the cost to the department.
   * Virus filtering email at our central email servers

Reactive:

   *     We have an incident response team that responds to complaints
     and we followup with departmental computing staff to resolve issues.
   *        We monitor the ongoing trends within the university and
     publish information to several listservs

2. What issues do you have?

Trying to maintain a balance between a secure computing environment and
the ability to open share information and ideas.

3. Are you using firewalls/virus protection?

Yes.  We have a university firewall at our gateway and we recommend that
departments install firewalls on their subnets.

4. What products are you using for this?

We have a partnership with Cisco for routers, switches, VPNs and
firewalls, but our departments are free to purchase any product that
meets their needs.

5. Do you have a method of "pushing out" software patches/security fixes?

Some of our departments are using packages such as SMS or SUS on the
windows side and Novell with Zen works.

6. How do you handle compromised machines? (That is, a machine that has been
hijacked to serve another purpose with the possibilities of backdoors etc remaining)

IF a system is attacking other systems or if it has been discovered to
be a warez server or some other media type server it is disconnected
from the network until the problem is corrected.

Answers to these from our site's perspective are:

1. User education, promotion of safe computing practices, communication with users
about security issues and why they're necessary. The approach is proactive but there
are always things not planned for where reaction is the only means of dealing with
it.

2. Issues would include such things as user compliance and education, manpower,
privacy and feelings of intrusiveness (not everyone likes the IT folks doing any
more poking around than necessary!)

3. Antivirus software (desktop and on mail servers), firewalls planned.

4. On the desktop we use Trend's Officescan; servers use Nortons, Sophos on mail
servers.

5. We use SMS for some of our business oriented software (like Oracle and
Peoplesoft) but not for patches.

6. This can depend on the degree of compromising. Rebuilding is always an option
unless a clear means of removal is known.

If you have a few moments, we would appreciate your responding with a line or two
for these questions.

Thanks for your time,

Rich Travsky
Division of Information Technology     RTRAVSKY @ UWYO.EDU
University of Wyoming              (307) 766 - 3668

--

Lance D. Jordan

Director, Information Protection & Security

Rutgers University Computing Services

(Voice) 732-445-8138           (Fax) 732-445-8023