Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Network Driver's License (was Re: several other threads)

From: Gerald N Flynn <flynngn () JMU EDU>
Date: Thu, 27 Feb 2003 16:48:20 -0500

Randy Marchany wrote:

We certainly don't need a DMV style bureaucracy. All we need is a couple of
large ISPs that offer this "Computer Ed" training to their customers. "Hi
there!

I suggested making this mandatory for all ISPs as part
of my input to the federal Cybersecurity plan. We do
something along those lines here. To get an electronic
ID (needed for email, registration, web downloads,
computer registration and IP address, etc.) everyone
has to go through a "security awareness training"
web session. It ain't perfect but nobody can say we
didn't warn them. :)

Feedback has been very mixed with extremes at both poles.
But every feedback message that says "thank you, I didn't
know that" or "this helped, I did a windows update today"
erases ten complaints in my mind. Is it a nuisance?
Sure...for about fifteen minutes every six months. We're
going to a one-time training with periodic refreshers
instead of requiring the full training every six months
which should make most of the complaints go away. Although
the "quiz" is going to be a little bit more stringent
instead of the easy "refresher" its designed as now. ;)

http://www.jmu.edu/computing/security/sa/

I can't think of a single reason why ISPs can't or
shouldn't do this.

On the DMV analogy topic, I find FCC licensing to be
another good analogy. But as you said, regardless of
analogies, sooner or later we have to stop bickering
and studying and wishing things were different and
decide we're going to do something about the current
situation.

--
Gary Flynn
Security Engineer - Technical Services