Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: VPNs

From: "Davis, Thomas R." <tdavis () INDIANA EDU>
Date: Tue, 14 Jan 2003 13:12:36 -0500

Hi Leslie,
  Each of our two large campuses (Indianapolis and Bloomington) has two
Cisco VPN 3030 systems, each capable of handling 1500 simultaneous
tunnels.  On each campus, one is used to secure wireless and allow
remote access.  The second is a special purpose server that only a
select few have access to (it gives out a limited range of IP addresses
that are closely monitored).  These VPN servers authenticate to a
Windows 2000-based RADIUS server, which in turn talks to our Windows
2000 ADS domain controllers.

  All of our "authorized" wireless access points are VLAN-ed
into/through a VPN server to provide authenticated and encrypted
wireless communications.  And, we've been very happy with these
products.

Hope this helps,

--
Tom Davis, Information Technology Security Officer, CISSP
Office of the VP for Information Technology, Indiana University