Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: CEO/Cabinet language on security issues.

From: Marty Hoag <Marty.Hoag () NDSU NODAK EDU>
Date: Mon, 10 Feb 2003 10:51:04 -0600

   This is a bit off the current topic but might address
the traction issue.  I have heard of talk of using some
"peer pressure" among presidents to get the word out.
This was mentioned at the NSF/EDUCAUSE Higher Education
IT Security Summit and it was suggested that the ACE Board
might be a good group to issue a letter to presidents.

   My notes are a bit sketchy.  I know Dr. Linwood Rose,
President of James Mason University, mentioned the need
to "scare the hell out of our presidents" (paraphrased).
It may have been Mark Luker, VP of EDUCAUSE, who
suggested the ACE Board specifically.  I know there
was some discussion about having the communications come
from other presidents might be more effective.  Perhaps
someone on the task force has information on the status
of that initiative.

   Marty