Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: What Every President Needs To Know

From: Tom Neiss <TNeiss () UAMAIL ALBANY EDU>
Date: Tue, 11 Feb 2003 13:57:12 -0500

Rodney
Thank you for asking.  Although I have many issues that presidents need to
know I would like to know if what is happening in my state is happening
elsewhere.  As a public institution we are part of state government. Our
state government IT office may adopt a very stringent security policy which
is currently in draft form. I am wondering if other public institutions are
seeing this happening in their states?  Basically, having to subscribe to a
very stringent policy that doesn't take into consideration academic freedom,
teaching, research and service?  And, if so, how are they addressing that
issue.  For my university it would take considerable funding to support such
a policy.
This policy is well overdue and is very well written, however, if higher
education has to subscribe to this policy it will be very costly and may
require policy that affects our missions.  Senior management needs to be
aware of that.
Thomas R. Neiss
Interim Director of Telecommunications and Information Security
State University of New York
University at Albany
1400 Washington Avenue
MSC 209