Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Patriot Act, Sybase, and Data Warehousing

From: Jim Moore <jhmfa () CIS RIT EDU>
Date: Thu, 10 Apr 2003 12:06:01 -0400

I was looking at an article from eWeek, and in the middle of everything
was an ad (link to http://www.sybase-ads.com/patriotsolution/ )
It was the typical scary ad of you could lose millions in fines, ...

It is not that I have't taken the Patriot Act seriously, it is just that
 when it got to things that Sybase's Patriot solution could do like:

"Automatic Screening and Filtering
Intraday and historical transactions, new and existing account holders,
employees and agents can be automatically screened against suspect lists.

Comprehensive Collaborative Investigations
An investigative case is automatically opened if unusual activity is
detected. All information related to each case is readily accessible by
appropriate personnel.

Customized Detection Filters and Lists
Create global or customer-focused detection filters for detecting
money-laundering activities.

Alert Notifications
Officials can be automatically notified of suspected matches."

I thought "Wow.  How would that fly in an Academic community?  Should I
be more proactive?"

I know that we don't have to be too concerned about money laundering.
Once money gets here, it would take a lot to get it away from us.  But I
wondered about some of the other things.

Jim

--
--
Jim Moore, CISSP, IAM

PGP (jimmoore () mail rit edu): 9C33 0328 CD59 B602 82B8 8521 0DC9 963C D0C0