Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

forced passwords

From: "Barros, Jacob" <jkbarros () GRACE EDU>
Date: Fri, 8 Aug 2003 16:42:56 -0500

Hello all...

Pardon my ignorance... we could use any advice you have to offer.

We typically specify new passwords for all students at the beginning of
the year.  We have a program that randomly generates new passwords for
students and with NT is was pretty simple to import the new information
via a .csv file. This being our first time in a native Win2K domain
using Active Directory, we're a bit lost.  Microsoft offers all kinds of
script examples for doing just about everything with AD but the script
examples we found require you to know the student's previous password.

 Is there a way to get around not knowing the student's old password?
Is there a better way to change multiple user account settings in AD
besides scripts?

Jake Barros
Grace College