Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: DShield and Symantec report MSBlast in wild

From: Marty Hoag <Marty.Hoag () NDSU NODAK EDU>
Date: Wed, 13 Aug 2003 19:55:41 -0500

   It isn't my area but I'd be interested in pointers to strategies
campuses use to update "imaged" systems, e.g. computer labs with
hundreds of computers which have been imaged from one source.

   I'm told some of our images are 6 GB and even using multicast take
hours to install. We normally run Deep Freeze (but they said they
are going to the Enterprise Edition if that is meaningful). They
normally only build new images a few times a year so we need to
find a way to put on the more frequent critical patches.

   If there is a list/FAQ where this is discussed that would be
helpful. I can't believe we are the only ones facing this.  ;-)

   If you want to reply to me directly instead of the list remember
to change the address in the reply.  Thank you!

   Marty Hoag
   marty.hoag () ndsu nodak edu