Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: General Info Bulletin from DHS

From: Gerry Sneeringer <sneeri () NTS UMD EDU>
Date: Wed, 2 Jul 2003 12:23:17 -0400

On Wed, 2 Jul 2003, Bruhn, Mark S. wrote:

I've also been told that chatter implies that certain groups
have issued a general challenge to determine is anyone can
deface 6000 web sites in 6 hours, on July 4th.  That's as
specific as the information is.  Most of us remember, I'm sure,
the Chinese defacements and the resulting American retaliatory
defacements, a couple of years ago.  It was easy to recover from
those, because most times the intruder just renamed and replaced
the index file with their own.  May not be so easy if it happens
again.

You can read about the challenge at:
http://www.defacers-challenge.com/defeng.htm

-Gerry