Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Sniffer notification

From: Brian Reilly <reillyb () GEORGETOWN EDU>
Date: Tue, 23 Mar 2004 17:50:29 -0500

On Tue, 23 Mar 2004, Tracy Mitrano wrote:

Just curious on this thread about a related question:

         How many schools have IT policies that state something to the
effect of:

         "[Name of Institution] does not as a practice monitor its network
for content"

We have similar language in our AUP, although we say we _cannot_ block
network traffic based on [offensive] content:

".... The University cannot protect individuals against the existence or
receipt of material that may be offensive to them. As such, those who make
use of electronic communications are warned that they may come across or
be recipients of material they find offensive. ...."

--Brian