Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: spoofed addresses?

From: "Craig W. Drake" <c-drake () NEIU EDU>
Date: Fri, 30 Apr 2004 16:43:30 -0500

Jake,

This subject "Fax Message Received" is known to be associated with the
W32.Beagle.mm worm.  Yes, it spoofs the senders address.  I would
recommend setting up some kind of SMTP gateway to scan all of your
incoming/outgoing email for viruses.  Also make sure that your desktops
are all running an up-to-date AntiVirus package. Another thing that we
have done is use our SMTP gateway to drop all executable attachments
(EXE, COM, SCR, PIF, etc...).  The NDR's are a little tougher issue.
Because the original infected message has a spoofed sender address, it
will send NDR's to that spoofed address instead of the actual sender.
We haven't found a good way to stop the NDR's because in order to do so,
we would have to also block "legitimate" NDR's.

Craig Drake
Northeastern Illinois University