Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Group lock downs in Win 2K world

From: "West, David F." <dfwest () ST-AUG EDU>
Date: Wed, 9 Jun 2004 09:45:20 -0400

Looking at locking down our environment from students in labs. We want to remove ability to download MP3, WMA and other
audio/video formats. Also we do not want them to be able to install applications or change the PCs.

Been looking at how to do this with group policies and such but wanted to get a feel for successes out at other schools.

Any pitfalls or problems? Methods that worked for you?

Main thing is looking at a way to do it with out buying additional software.

Thank you very much,
David West
Sr. Network Engineer
Saint Augustine's College